The second dojo was about UI test automation and Watir. We started with the presentations – this time one presentation for the whole course. First was the general presentation about UI test automation. I have to admit that having already researched the subject to some extent because of my work, there wasn't that much new information in that presentation. However, the presentation was good and the lecturer's comments about UI test automation software, their problems and experiences about the software was nice. I also now remember which product I shouldn't buy to use for UI test automation... ;-)
The toolkit presentation was about Watir, a web testing framework. I have personally researched Selenium, and it was very interesting to try and find the differences between Watir and Selenium, and trying to decide which one of them I should perhaps take into use also in the so-called ”real life”. I have to admit that Watir made a good impression, and I certainly decided to treat it as an equal with Selenium when trying to decide. Haven't yet made up my mind, though...
After the Watir presentation, we moved on to the dojo section of the dojo, and split to the same groups again. This time we were supposed to take a Cucumber feature definition and make step definitions for it. One of our lecturers had kindly made an Web app that tried to fulfil the requirements that we had for the first dojo's application for which we wrote the feature definitions.
This time our way of working at the dojo was more relaxed; also others besides the driver and copilot commented on the step definitions. This was a mixed blessing – on the other hand there was much more communication going on, which probably enhanced our performance as well as our ability to understand what was going on on the screen. On the down side, a few students were quite dominating in the dojo, and at some points the driver didn't necessarily have the slightest idea of the big picture on what s/he was asked to do.
We had some serious problems trying to figure out the correct syntax for our step definitions – the tests seemed to pass even when they most certainly shouldn't have. In the end this proved to be an error in our step definitions indeed. This was a thing that I think everyone learned, since we tried fixing it for so long.
In the end we managed to make a few working test cases with both definitions and step definitions. I'd say I learned quite a lot about Watir and integrating any testing tools to Cucumber – I think this will be of great benefit for me later on.