The fourth, and last, dojo of our course was about Session-Based Testing. That was also (weirdly enough?) the title of the first presentation, that gave us a basic overview of session-based testing, the tester's roles etc. Once again I was late (I still wonder why all the site downtimes happen when you least hope for them...), but I got a good hang of it even seeing only a fraction of the presentation.
The other presentation was a tool review of a few tools that could be used to facilitate session testing: RapidReporter and SessionTester (the latter being shockingly unpredictable with it's choice of name ;) The tools were usable, but I have to say that neither really caught my eye; both seemed quite lacking, with one of them (RapidReporter, I think) being just a text editor with some kind of parser for some of the syntax. I wonder if there are better programs out there for reporting session-based testing...
After the presentations we divided into two groups: One tested our university's Web site again, while the other tested an Android app for browsing video services.
I started with the Web testing. We organized the testing better this time: Each pair was assigned one site that they were supposed to test. We also discussed about good missions beforehand.
We, with my pair, didn't use either of the reporting applications, mostly because they were in our minds quite lacking. Instead we settled for a traditional pen and paper tactic, which worked fine. We had chosen our Department of Mathematics Web site, and didn't really find anything interesting there. It was perhaps a bit too small a site to test for that long.
After that we got to the perhaps more interesting case – an Android app called Fuugo. I have to say: Kudos to the guys for managing to code a very good app. I did found something strange once with full screen video + screen locking or something, but at least we didn't find anything repeatable that we could've reported as a bug. And we certainly did try... Though I have to admit that an Android app is quite a bit more difficult to test than an Web site, because my expertise is clearly more on the Web side of things (and of course the fact that browsers are one hell of a bughole...)
It was the last dojo, and I have to admit I had fun. I learned quite a lot during the course – and I enjoyed the course structure much more than our regular lecture, demonstrations and an exam -type of thing. Nice work, guys!
Next week we had a few guest lectures, too – a bit more about those later on.